A mere Korutsu [Misato]

Poll #233/4/5 - Triple Poll Day!

Poll #233/4/5  - Triple Poll Day!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which game franchise do you prefer?

2. 2. Which BC Empire would you rule?

• The Roman Republic
    • Carthage
    • Macedon Empire
    • Babylonian Empire
    • Assyrian Empire
    • Achaemenid Empire
    • Han (Largest Chinese Dynasty)
    • Parthian Empire
    • Selecuid Empire
    • Xiongxiu Khanate
    • Other
  3. 3. If you became a dictator of a 20th century nation, what would be your defining trait?

• Paranoia
    • Wanting to start a war
    • Being a bungling (Italian) Joke
    • Being a dictator but one that served it's country to the end. (Ex. Ho Chi Minh)
    • Brutality
    • Maintaining power for a long time
    • Other

Poll #233/4/5  - Triple Poll Day!

Fun fact: Call of duties most popular game was Call of Duty: Black Ops which has sold almost 31 million copies. However its largest earning game is Modern Warfare (2019) generating over 600million$ in just 3 days after it's release. The Battlefield fanchise is much smaller with a mere 27million total titles sold, and it's most popular game was Battlefield 3 with over 13million sales. 

Fun Fact: The famous Roman legions that conqoured Europe were not actually a thing until about 190BCE after the second Punic war which drove the shaken Roman to reform their entire military structure. And then at around the end of the 2nd centry AD the traditional roman legions started to meld into a differnt form. (I am happy to elaborate on this is needed)

Fun Fact: Not all dictators were completely terrible, for example, you have Ho Chi Minh, who served his country to the end and is worshipped by the Vietnamese for gaining their independance from hundreds of years of colonialism. Another not so bad dictator was Fidel Castor, who ruled his country with an iron fist, but is loved by his former subjects. One final 'good' dictator was Francisco Franco, who didn't join in WW2, and when he died allowed for a peaceful transition to a democracy.

Edited by A mere Korutsu [Misato]

3 hours ago, alyster said:

Fun Fact: Roman Republic was not an empire :ph34r:

The early Roman Republic wasn't an empire. However, later on, it became the hegemonic power in the Mediterranean, which would count as an empire. And empires before the birth of Christ were pretty small by today's empire standards.:think:

1 hour ago, Anun Tidera said:

The early Roman Republic wasn't an empire. However, later on, it became the hegemonic power in the Mediterranean, which would count as an empire. And empires before the birth of Christ were pretty small by today's empire standards.

Not every large nation is an empire. Rome did become an empire eventually, but not because of its' size but because Octavianus was crowned as an emperor Augustus. 

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/empire 

Awards

3 hours ago, alyster said:

Not every large nation is an empire. Rome did become an empire eventually, but not because of its' size but because Octavianus was crowned as an emperor Augustus. 

However Augustus became emperor at 27BC so Rome became an empire before 0AD

4 hours ago, alyster said:

Colloquially speaking, larger nations are considered empires. The British Commonwealth, which once controlled around 25% of the world's land, was ruled by a monarch with the rank of a King/Queen but is referred to as an empire. The only area where the British monarchs held the title of Emperor/Empress was India, which was one small part of the realm ruled by Britain. And they only held that title for less than 100 years. And Augustus was probably a Consul before he declared himself Emperor. Also, the issue with going off of titles alone is that they mean nothing if they can't be enforced. Irene might have been Empress of the Roman Empire, but she couldn't press her claim in the west, which is why Charlemagne was able to be crowned Emperor of the Romans. And the King of Spain holds a bunch of ceremonial titles that he doesn't try to enforce.

Edited by Anun Tidera

41 minutes ago, A mere Korutsu [Misato] said:

However, you did specifically say the Republic, which was just one government. That's where Alyster's argument came from. :think:

11 hours ago, A mere Korutsu [Misato] said:

One final 'good' dictator was Francisco Franco, who didn't join in WW2, and when he died allowed for a peaceful transition to a democracy.

Say what you want about his peaceful transition which was arguably more organised by the parties post his death he was a truly disgusting human. 

"Franco’s regime committed a series of violent human rights abuses against the Spanish people, which included the establishment of concentration camps and the use of forced labor and executions, mostly against political and ideological enemies, causing an estimated 200,000 to 400,000 deaths in more than 190 concentration camps."

He was well known to be heartless and ruthless when fighting in some colonies, routinely executing his colonial troops who didn't do exactly as he said.

Lastly two big reasons why they didn't join in the war was to a large extent due to MI6 bribes to officials in Spain which dissuaded them from supporting it. Not to mention them having just gone through a horrific civil war by any and all standards.

14 hours ago, A mere Korutsu [Misato] said:

One final 'good' dictator was Francisco Franco, who didn't join in WW2, and when he died allowed for a peaceful transition to a democracy.

Well, although Spain was officially neutral in WW2, there were Spanish volunteers fighting in the German army during the war, a.k.a. the Blue Division. And he wanted Juan Carlos of Bourbon to continue his regime, but Juan Carlos had other ideas. He knew that many monarchies fell due to a lack of liberalization (e.g. France and Russia) and there hasn't been a king in over 40 years when he was in charge. What he did was make Spain a democracy with a monarchy.

10 hours ago, A mere Korutsu [Misato] said:

So? 1AD is just a date. At first there was a kingdom, then there was a republic that despised royalties and then there was an empire. The republic was not an empire.

PS 0AD never existed. 1AD is literally 1st year of the Lord (Jesus Christ). 

9 hours ago, Anun Tidera said:

Colloquially speaking, larger nations are considered empires. The British Commonwealth, which once controlled around 25% of the world's land, was ruled by a monarch with the rank of a King/Queen but is referred to as an empire. The only area where the British monarchs held the title of Emperor/Empress was India, which was one small part of the realm ruled by Britain. And they only held that title for less than 100 years. And Augustus was probably a Consul before he declared himself Emperor. Also, the issue with going off of titles alone is that they mean nothing if they can't be enforced. Irene might have been Empress of the Roman Empire, but she couldn't press her claim in the west, which is why Charlemagne was able to be crowned Emperor of the Romans. And the King of Spain holds a bunch of ceremonial titles that he doesn't try to enforce.

The British Empire at least had a monarchy. Alright it was constitutional monarchy, but at least they had an emperor / empress of India among their ranks. Roman Republic was exactly oposite to that - people's rule, not a monarchy, not an empire. 

You're confusing the word hegemony with empire here. Unless you want to make a claim that the US is not a republic but an empire?

Edited by alyster

Awards

2 hours ago, alyster said:

So? 1AD is just a date. At first there was a kingdom, then there was a republic that despised royalties and then there was an empire. The republic was not an empire.

PS 0AD never existed. 1AD is literally 1st year of the Lord (Jesus Christ). 

The British Empire at least had a monarchy. Alright it was constitutional monarchy, but at least they had an emperor / empress of India among their ranks. Roman Republic was exactly oposite to that - people's rule, not a monarchy, not an empire. 

You're confusing the word hegemony with empire here. Unless you want to make a claim that the US is not a republic but an empire?

I'm not taking that hard it a side here I technically agree with alyster however Google said an oligarchy could also constitute an empire which the republic kinda was. I think in modern non historic litriture it is often used what would have been incorrectly but is now used more broadly for simply a large powerful nation under rule of some sort of unified state. (Quoting Google again)

4 hours ago, Heath said:

I'm not taking that hard it a side here I technically agree with alyster however Google said an oligarchy could also constitute an empire which the republic kinda was. I think in modern non historic litriture it is often used what would have been incorrectly but is now used more broadly for simply a large powerful nation under rule of some sort of unified state. (Quoting Google again)

Mixing up Roman Republic and Roman Empire is an easy way to get history fan boys pissed off. 

Awards

21 hours ago, Bradley said:

I think it's best to stick to actual facts. Plenty of resources on google that'll provide you with that. You might learn a thing or two in the process.

Look! I tried! ;-; I could of researched everything but seriously I was running out of time to make the poll...

1 hour ago, Brooklyn666 said:

You didn't need to do "research" to confidently proclaim that Franco was a "good dictator". You could have just said nothing.

Fair point and noted, I simply did not know enough about Franco

11 hours ago, Brooklyn666 said:

So what's the lesson here then? Don't confidently talk about things that you don't know about as if you do. It's to not know stuff, but don't just make up stuff about it based on your own admission of limited and incomplete knowledge.

We can’t all be professors. At least he made a poll.

Awards

4 hours ago, Brooklyn666 said:

That's not even close to what I said and you know it. What I said is don't confidently proclaim something on a topic when you yourself are aware you have limited knowledge on topic, that's all. I have no problem with the poll or anything or anyone else. All I ask is just don't be confidently incorrect.

How do you measure confidence out of 2 posts of 4 lines? You basically ripped the lad a new one for opening his mouth. 

Awards